Re: [squid-users] Squid 2.5 with Automake - compilation questions

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: 24 Aug 2001 19:12:17 +1000

On 24 Aug 2001 10:57:22 +0200, Steven Thompson wrote:
> Hi All
>
> The squid 2.5 tar ball with automake support.
>
> The following is the compile instructions
> Now simply build squid as you usually would - ./configure;make;make install
> - with any options you desire.
> Q1. Do I ever have to use automake, autoconf, autoheader or is this handled
> by the config scripts.

Unless you are a squid developer, you never need to use automake,
autoconf or autoheader.

> Q2. If you want to add or remove certain compile options after you have
> already compiled.
> Do you just recompile again with the options that you want to enable
> or disable.

Yes. Automake brings with it much better dependency tracking, so make
clean should not be needed.

> Q3. How do you check if have enabled support for NTLM auth and Delay pools
> once
> your compilations is finished

Same as you do now - the options being built are printed by the
configure script. Automake doesn't alter this at all.

> Q4. NTLM authentication - where are the user name and passwords stored do
> you need a NT PDC or can you point it to a password file or LDAP db.

Again, as with Q3, automake doesn't alter this at all - this is an ntlm
question :].

We currently provide 2 helpers - fakeauth/no_check and NTLMSSP

ntlmssp uses a MS PDC, BDC or SAMBA server to store the usernames and
passwords.

fakeauth doesn't authenticate the users at all, just uses NTLM to
extract the username for the user.

In theory a helper can be written which like fakeauth doesn't need an
external PDC, but instead works off a local database or other
directory... however such a helper would need access to the value of
MD4(password) - just like the SAMBA alternative password file to allow
encrypted passwords does.

Rob