Re: [squid-users] Poor Squid performance problem (bis!)

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: 25 Aug 2001 12:12:25 +1000

On 24 Aug 2001 18:15:48 +0200, GUIDOUX R InfoEdpEtcDep wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone have any idea about it ?
>
> sorry for this second mail, but I'm really blocked and I can't go on with
> using Squid if I can't get better performance !
> usually, when I perform these tests, caches are 100% CPU loaded. Here it is
> not even the case. I'd like to identify the (hard or soft) limitation and
> get rid of it.
>
> Any help will really be appreciated ...

Squid will typically need 3 fd's per 'hit'. 1 for the upstream socket, 1
for the downstream socket, and 1 for the store file.

So to handle 2000 concurrent connections, you need ~ 6000 fd's.

When you run ./configure squid TESTS your system to see how many fd's it
can obtain. You need to set your limits _before_ running ./configure or
else it will get limited to your user setting.

Rob