Re: [squid-users] Squid Devel 2.5 transparent proxy and auth.

From: Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 09:26:03 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

You cannot do transparent proxying and authentication. A browser can
submit two types of authentication in the HTTP headers. There's the
"normal" authentication header used at web servers. There's also a
"proxy-auth" header used to authenticate at a proxy. However, proxy-auth
will only be used if the browser is configured to use a proxy. You are
using transparent squid. To the browser, there is no proxy involved.

In other words, if you tell the brwoser there is no proxy, how can you
expect the browser to do proxy authentication?

 On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Castano, Leonardo - (Chi) wrote:

> Hi friends I have a Linux Red Hat 7.1 and Squid 2.5DEVEL working like
> transparent proxy and I need autenticate user by ip and by username, please
> some help...

Colin