Vs: [squid-users] Re: THANKS ALL .. GREAT IMPROVEMENT

From: Mika Aleksandroff <mika.aleksandroff@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 17:33:26 +0300

>>> Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com> 30.8.2001 05:23 >>>
>Out of curiosity (raised by an ongoing issue that I'm running into):
>What kernel are you using?
>I've been hitting performance issues with a clients box on 2.4.5 and
>2.4.8 kernels. It seems to be related to ipchains and/or WCCP....System
>CPU usage hits 80-90% within seconds of a high load being directed at
>the cache, and Squid begins to respond very slowly.

I'm having exactly same kind of problems with 2.4.9 (previously 2.4.7).
I am using ipchains to do transparent cacheing/masquerading. Strangely
enough the server was happy for many weeks until last week (after crash
due to power failure) squid (and at least ncftp as well when transferring
files) uses every cpu cycle it can rendering the server quite unusable.
After switching to 2.2.18 everything seem quite normal (~25% load).

The machine is dual PIII-800Mhz /w 512MB RAM.

Behave,
             Mika A, ATK-Keskus
             Kymenlaakso Polytechnic