Re: [squid-users] Tweaking Squid for speed, not max requests

From: Brian <hiryuu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 21:32:02 -0400

On Thursday 30 August 2001 08:47 pm, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> It depends on your access patterns. If you have a 30-50gb cache and
> say, 1gb of RAM for caching, and 90% of your object requests come
> from that 1gb of cached disk data, then you won't see the blocking
> as being an issue.
>
> But it doesn't work that way in reality. If it did, we wouldn't have
> had to write aufs/diskd. :-)

True, but he does have a point in this context. When discussing ram disk
vs. real disk, we pretty much assume cache_dir will be less than the ram
in the box. In that case, basically everything on disk will be in the
buffer cache and we're talking about the CPU overhead of writing new
objects to disk -- pretty negligible (and asynchronous).

        -- Brian