RE: [squid-users] accel mode and peering

From: <sean.upton@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 13:24:00 -0700

At my company, we have 2 peer squid boxes as accelerators, and have an Intel
Netstrcuture 7140 (L4 switch) in front of them; this has the advantage of
not needing to proxy all the outgoing packets from squid out through the
load-balancer, thanks to source-address-preservation and out-of-path return
techniques. This means that packets get sent directly back to the
requesting client from squid, instead of the the load-balancer.

The only problem with this sort of setup is that you need to use a
node-takeover based HA mechanism, because you sacrifice the LB's ability to
take down nodes out of the pool; the solution for this is IP address
takeover on the boxes running squid with something like heartbeat.

This works relatively well; we have some small issues with this
configuration (on the load-balancer), which once worked out, I'm sure I will
post some info on this setup to the list.

Sean