RE: [squid-users] Linux Vs Solaris

From: <sean.upton@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 15:24:19 -0700

Hmm... Solaris is a fine platform for Squid; so is Linux 2.4. I don't have
performance numbers, but, I will say Linux 2.4 is a very nice, stable, fast
platform for Squid on Sun hardware (we run 2 high-traffic accelerators w/
Linux 2.4 & Squid on E250s), and even with an untuned TCP stack, it should
be suitable. Solaris (well, Solaris 8 at least), on the other hand,
requires more TCP tuning (at the very least, increasing TCP connection
buffers for a high-traffic proxy). Linux 2.4 has a very fast TCP/IP stack
and stuff like the Zero-copy patches likely can't hurt, if you use them.
IMHO, tuning Linux kernel network params via /proc fs is easier, and needs
to be done to a lower degree, and likely has a lower cost of administering
the boxes than Solaris... but perhaps that's just my preference... I guess
I just lost the patience to administer Solaris, installing compilers, C
libraries, etc, etc, etc via pkgadd that I normally just take for granted on
Linux distros like Debian, where I just apt-get install them.

Sean