Re: [squid-users] Logging in to secure sites (AOL, Hotmail, etc.)

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 01:22:19 -0500

Interception caching of HTTP (port 80) traffic for these sites does not
interfere with secured authentication of them. I've tested all but AOL
somewhat recently and they work fine.

I think perhaps there is maybe a simpler networking issue--Is port 443
traffic routed on to the HTTPS sites? You shouldn't be interception
proxying these requests anyway, since they can't be cached...so leave
those packets alone and let them hit the site directly. (MASQing works
OK for them too, if you have to use non-routable IPs on the client
machines.)

You can still safely intercept for port 80, even on these sites. (I was
just testing HotMail extensively ~4 hours ago for a client--I /know/ it
works OK. Yahoo has been a few weeks, but I don't guess they've changed
anything.)

                                   --
                      Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                  Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances