[squid-users] Performance Problem

From: Sven Eisenhauer <sven.eisenhauer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 09:19:20 +0200

Hello *,

I have a performance problem with my Squid Cache.
My configuration is:
Squid 2.4 Satble 2
Linux 2.4.3
Storage: 160 GB external SCSI Raid Array (U2W-SCSI = 80 MB/s),
Filesystem XFS 1.0
Ultra Sparc IIi 300MHz
256 MB RAM
256 MB Swap
Squid:
  cache_mem 32 MB
  maximum_object_size 1024 KB
  cache_dir ufs /var/squid/cache 156000 16 256
  redirect_program /usr/bin/squidGuard -c /etc/squidguard.conf
  redirect_children 20
  half_closed_clients off
  memory_pools off

Current Store Swap Size: 45659992 KB

The problem is, that after a some hours Squid uses all RAM and Swap, and
so gets extremly slow. Also connecting to the machine with SSH take up
to 20 seconds. But the CPU is 90% idle.
I have tried compiling Squid with dlmalloc and without, increased file
descriptors from 1024 to 8192.
Also turning off memory_pools and half_closed_clients did not help.

I thought about using Async I/O, but I do not know exactly how to
configure it.
Would using Async I/O also enable POSIX Threads and would they enhance
performance?
Would Async I/O my current cache store?
Apropos cache store....
The cache was build by a Squid 2.3 and after upgrading to 2.4, the 2.4
rebuilds the store at every restart, which takes much time.
This happens also after Squid said Completed Validation Procedure in the
log.

Has anybody an idea what of this above could help or anything else?
Or is there anything wrong with my configuration, e. g. the CPU to slow
or to few RAM for the Cache size?

Thanks in advance and greeting from Germany,

Sven Eisenhauer