Re: [squid-users] no traffic between parent/child

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: 09 Sep 2001 10:29:17 +1000

On Fri, 2001-09-07 at 22:43, Van Bossche Koen wrote:
> Hi,
> We have in our company a caching parent/child squid configuration. One of
> the childs cannot access his parent anymore. I can fix it with a proxy
> authentication script to use automatically an other proxy, if the current
> one isn't accessible.
> Though I think port 8080 is blocked somehow between the 2 squid boxes. My
> logfiles don't tell me much. Can anyone advice me where to look at for
> retrieving this information?
> BR/Koen Van Bossche

Try running lynx/wget/w3m on the child cache server, configured to use
the parent can't be reached. That should give you some info.

ie (assuming bash)
$ export http_proxy=http://parentip:parentport/
$ wget http://some.testsite.com/

if that works, then the communication for http is fine.
If you are using ICP, and that is blocked, then squid may think that
parent is down even if it isn't. Check the cache.log for errors or
messages.

Rob