Re: [squid-users] squid cpu usage ..high??

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 01:33:40 -0500

50% is probably about right for a 550MHz machine at 40 recs/sec.

How many drives did you say you had? 35 threads is probably a bit much
for one drive. Actually, the default is great for all but the fastest
drives--so don't alter the default when configuring.

LFUDA and GDSF are documented by the folks who implemented them:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/1999/HPL-1999-69.html
http://fog.hpl.external.hp.com/techreports/98/HPL-98-173.html

These links are taken from the squid.conf file. Note that replacement
policies are mostly academic--performance differences are very modest,
as are hit ratio differences. The benchmarks presented in the papers
are not realistic enough to really model the world--and I've found
Polygraph benchmarks shrink the performance + hit rate differences
between policies to almost nil, assuming a properly configured system
(i.e. enough RAM for the size of the cache, and enough disk space to
effectivly cache for the given workload).

                                   --
                      Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                  Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances