Re: [squid-users] bypass

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 15:39:55 -0500

Umm...You've just restated precisely the same thing in slightly
different words, and the answer provided from the FAQ still applies.

Perhaps what you really mean: You want these specific IPs to be passed
through the /server/ without being /proxied/ by Squid?

The no_cache directive will do what you have described in both
posts--but my rephrasing of your problem neccesitates a very different
solution.

Squid cannot bypass itself. It's impossible to do so--once the request
has reached it, the request must be proxied in some way, with or without
caching. Squid isn't in the network layer of your OS and thus cannot
perform routing functions (Squid would have to be a kernel module to
your OS to do something like that).

Bypassing Squid has to happen at the network layer of your OS. Under
Linux, when using redirection caching, you may insert a rule like the
following:

ipchains -I input 1 -s 192.168.1.1 -j ACCEPT

Where 192.168.1.1 is the IP of the host to not send through the proxy.
Since this comes before the REDIRECT rule that sends packets to the
cache, it allows packets from that host to pass through untouched.

I assume this is what you had in mind?

                                   --
                      Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                  Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances