Re: [squid-users] how many hits can squid can handle

From: Robin Stevens <robin.stevens@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 17:11:39 +0100

On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 06:25:06PM -0500, Joe Cooper wrote:
> I'm afraid Squid doesn't scale quite that well. I just shipped a unit > specced as follows:
>
> Dual PIII 1GHz
> 1.5GB RAM
> 3 x 18GB 15k RPM disks

Is there much to be gained by going for 15krpm disks over 10krpm?
A few months ago, the opinion of my colleagues was that the extra money
would be better spent on more RAM or more disk spindles.

> So I'd say even a 1.4GHz Athlon would max at 250 reqs/sec. Though a
> dual Athlon 1.4 might run up to 350 or more.

I have seen a single PIII-1000 running at 300 reqs/sec, albeit with an
empty disk cache. Performance seemed to drop quite sharply by the time the
cache disks filled, although upgrading to squid 2.4 and using aufs has
restored some of that performance. I'm still waiting for termtime to push
these boxes to the limit, and then to make a case for buying a couple more
to replace our previous generation of cache machines entirely :-)

--
--------------- Robin Stevens  <robin.stevens@oucs.ox.ac.uk> -----------------
Oxford University Computing Services ----------- Web: http://www.cynic.org.uk/