RE: [squid-users] Squid + Firewall + non std ports

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 16:01:26 +1000

tranparent proxying is a often overloaded term.

Basically there are two methods of getting a browser talking to a proxy.

1) Configure the browser. This includes autoconfiguration scripts,
registry tweaking, whatever.
2) Have the network intercept the traffic from the browser to the web
server, and feed it into a proxy.

A proxy doing 2) is most accurately called an intercepting proxy.
However, for some reason the term "transparent proxy" [which actually
(according to HTTP/1.1) means one that does not alter the semantics of
the HTTP content passing through it] become the common term for that.

So seeing "transparent" in a squid configuration raises alarm bells. The
FAQ is referring to traffic intercepting proxies.

Ok, back to the point, even for a normally configured squid, it will
treat authenticated requests as being uncacheable, and will by default
send them directly.

Rob