Re: [squid-users] Is Squid an option for me? <newbie>

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 00:17:00 +0200

sean.upton@uniontrib.com wrote:

> Since basic auth is just a header, there is a question as to whether or not
> this header info is stripped in the request as it is sent by Squid to the
> back-end web servers in accel mode, provided you are not caching... Any of
> the gurus out there know if this is possible?

It is currently passed on as it is. In the rproxy branch
<http://squid.sourceforge.net/rproxy/> a few other alternatives is
introduced.

> More specifically, I would want to:
> - Initially authenticate via challenge from Squid

For this you need to enable authentication in accelerator mode. See
client_side.c or the rproxy branch mentioned above.

> - Rest of session: both squid and app server on back-end evaluate the same
> basic auth header info

They do, unless you use rproxy and select to send some other credentials
to the backend, such as all users having a static password and an
optional prefix on their user name, or even a static backend login
shared by all users, or no backend login at all.

> - (optionally) figure out a way to do basic auth login via an html web-form
> instead of a default browser dialog (that is, prempt the auth challenge
> response, even if this only can be done via client-side scripting on capible
> browsers).

Where do you find information on how to script the browser challenge
response? Did not know browsers could do such things..

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid Hacker