[squid-users] Increasing file descriptors in Redhat 7.1

From: Brian <signal@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 20:05:42 -0500 (CDT)

I have read the FAQ on increasing file descriptors,
but it does not talk about kernel 2.4. I am running
Redhat 7.1 with the version of squid that comes with it
(2.4.3?). What I did was:

set ulimit -HSn 16384, then recompile squid. During the
configure I can see tht the max size is indeed seen as
16384.

I also:

echo 16384 > /proc/sys/fs/file-max

in rc.local, and have "ulimit -HSn 16384" in my init
script that starts squid.

Does more need to be done than this with Redhats 2.4
kernel? Possibly a kernel recompile? I am just having
a hard time finding the exact info for the 2.4 kernel,
especially in relation to redhat 7.1.

Thanks,

Brian

Brian Feeny, CCIE #8036 email:signal@shreve.net