[squid-users] Forcing squid to use parent always

From: Phil Howard <phil-squid-users@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 06:35:54 -0500 (CDT)

I have one cache on a local LAN and another cache on the LAN that
this LAN is dialed up to. I want to force the local cache to always
use the cache on the other LAN (traffic to the internet goes through
that LAN anyway). So I have this configured in the local cache:
[where XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is the IP address of the parent cache]

cache_peer XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX parent 800 0 default no-query

which is the best I could figure out from the documentation.
I want to use HTTP rather than ICP between caches for reasons
that involve future network topology plans.

Most requests go to the parent. However, I occaisionally get a
request going direct. How can I force this to go to the parent?
In the near future, the local cache won't even have direct access
and I want to figure out how to solve this before then.

Here is the complete config of the local cache:
[where XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is the IP address of the parent cache
and YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY is the network address of the local LAN]

cache_peer XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX parent 800 0 default no-query
http_port 800
icp_port 0
cache_dir ufs /var/squid/cache 100 16 256
cache_effective_user squid
cache_effective_group squid
cache_mem 8 MB
cache_access_log /var/squid/logs/access.log
cache_log /var/squid/logs/cache.log
cache_store_log /var/squid/logs/store.log
pid_filename /var/run/squid.pid
diskd_program /var/squid/libexec/squid/diskd
unlinkd_program /opt/squid/libexec/squid/unlinkd
mime_table /opt/squid/etc/mime.conf
icon_directory /opt/squid/etc/icons
error_directory /opt/squid/etc/errors
anonymize_headers deny via
anonymize_headers deny x_forwarded_for
forwarded_for off
hierarchy_stoplist cgi-bin ?
acl QUERY urlpath_regex cgi-bin \?
no_cache deny QUERY
acl localhost src 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.255
acl localnet src YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY/255.255.255.240
acl private src 10.0.0.0/255.0.0.0
acl private src 172.16.0.0/255.240.0.0
acl private src 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0
acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
acl manager proto cache_object
acl SSL_ports port 443 563
acl Safe_ports port 80 # http
acl Safe_ports port 21 # ftp
acl Safe_ports port 443 563 # https, snews
acl Safe_ports port 70 # gopher
acl Safe_ports port 210 # wais
acl Safe_ports port 1025-65535 # unregistered ports
acl Safe_ports port 280 # http-mgmt
acl Safe_ports port 488 # gss-http
acl Safe_ports port 591 # filemaker
acl Safe_ports port 777 # multiling http
acl CONNECT method CONNECT
http_access allow localhost
http_access allow localnet
http_access allow private