[squid-users] ufs / aufs / diskd on linux

From: Jesus M. Salvo Jr. <jsalvo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 10:06:34 +1000

I know this has been mentioned before ... that aufs ( or even diskd )
gives better performance than ufs on linux.

        http://list.cineca.it/cgi-bin/wa?S2=squid&q=aufs+linux&s=&f=&a=&b=

However, the FAQ still mentions that, in general, async I/O ( which I
assume to mean aufs ) performs badly with linux ... although it mentions
that it has to do with the version of glibc.

        http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-19.html#ss19.5

What version of glibc is recommended? If I would switch to a 2.2.19
kernel, will glibc-2.1.3 work better with aufs? Is this slowdown with
aufs no longer an issue with glibc-2.2?

Note: I have been running squid mainly on ufs on a test box.