Re: [squid-users] Single processor?

From: Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 10:49:26 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Peter Smith wrote:

> I'm currently running Squid-2.4.stable2 on a dual 866mz P3, 512mb RAM,
> scsi raid cache dir, Redhat 7.1 (2.4.2-2smp) . I'm seeing squid run on
> only a single processor while I have about 200+ users hitting it. Is
> there anything that I might be doing wrong? I'm using the following
> during configuration of the squid source:

Squid is a single-threaded process. It will only occupy one processor. It
might jump across cpus but that is a function of the scheduler and any
decent scheduler will try to leave a process on the same cpu to avoid
invalidating processor cache memory. Using RAID is not the best way to
manage squid. You are much better off spreading multiple cache_dirs across
disks, one cache_dir per disk. Squid will spread the load for you.

Colin

--
Colin Campbell
Unix Support/Postmaster/Hostmaster