Re: [squid-users] Squid fails due to init seg fault

From: Mark Tinka <aknit44@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 10:49:33 -0700 (PDT)

you might be right, one of the memory modules i installed the first time read 256MB, but the system was only able to detect and load half that, 128MB... i did change the module that reported the correct memory size, but it was from the same batch of RAM chips, which could have been bad as well then.. considering one of them failed to work in one of our other servers...

as for the kernel, it is self compiled, with 0 errors... the reason for the self compile was the need to enable transparent proxy..... i had no problems during the compilation, so i gues it could be a memory problem as you say....

i will run my memory tester and get back to you with output...

thanks for all the help...

AKNIT

--- Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org>
> wrote:
>Mark Tinka wrote:
>
>> Sep 29 19:57:49 cache init: PANIC: segmentation violation at 0x8058a5c! sleeping for 30 seconds.
>
>Not good. Something is for sure terribly wrong with your system.
>Probable causes is either a broken kernel or a hardware problem, in such
>case most likely a bad memory module.
>
>I'd suggest you start running some memory tests or start moving your
>memory modules around.
>
>Regards
>Henrik Nordström
>Squid Hacker

Be different Get yourself a Globenetcafe.net email ID
Uganda's Newest internet cafe www.globenetcafe.net