Re[2]: [squid-users] No SWAPIN in store.log

From: Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 15:28:29 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Delcam wrote:

> I think the same. I've limited memory that squid can use for
> in-memory objects by 10Mb and I have big enough for my demands
> disk space (~3Gb). It is full on 90%. I've analized store.log
> for 10 days. There isn't any SWAPIN! Besides this, cachemgr.cgi
> says that 1,9Gb was sent to the users from the cache.
> I just cannot believe that during 10 days all these objects was
> transferred from memory.

They probably weren't. I guess I didn't really explain properly. As far as
I understand, squid's cache is made up of two parts, the memory cache and
the disk cache. Objects that are being hit frequently live in the memory
cache. Once their usage goes down, they're SWAPOUT-ed to the disk cache.
If they become very busy and squid considers it worthwhile, the object
will be SWAPIN-ed from the disk cache to the memory cache where they'll
remain until it's time for another SWAPOUT.

Sending the object to a client does not constitute a SWAPIN. Yes the
object comes off disk into memory, but it isn't put into the memory cache.
Therefore it isn't a SWAPIN.

Colin

--
Colin Campbell