Re: [squid-users] Get Segmentation fault by executing squid -X

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 13:28:24 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Zand, Nooshin wrote:

> Hi SquidUsers,
>
> When I execute ../bin/squid -X, I get segmentation fault. squid2.4STABLE1 is
> in used.
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)

FAQ:

11.48. Segment Violation at startup or upon first request

  Some versions of GCC (notably 2.95.1 through 2.95.3) have bugs with
  compiler optimization. These GCC bugs may cause NULL pointer accesses
  in Squid, resulting in a ``FATAL: Received Segment Violation...dying''
  message and a core dump.

  You can work around these GCC bugs by disabling compiler optimization.
  The best way to do that is start with a clean source tree and set the
  CC options specifically:

  % cd squid-x.y
  % make distclean
  % setenv CFLAGS='-g -Wall'
  % ./configure ...

  To check that you did it right, you can search for AC_CFLAGS in
  src/Makefile:

  % grep AC_CFLAGS src/Makefile
  AC_CFLAGS = -g -Wall

  Now when you recompile, GCC won't try to optimize anything:

  % make
  Making all in lib...
  gcc -g -Wall -I../include -I../include -c rfc1123.c

  NOTE: some people worry that disabling compiler optimization will
  negatively impact Squid's performance. The impact should be
  negligible, unless your cache is really busy and already runs at a
  high CPU usage. For most people, the compiler optimization makes
  little or no difference at all.