Re: [squid-users] time to tune further??

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 04:50:30 -0500

No. You've misunderstood me, Khiz.

The ratio I mentioned is how much memory Squid /will/ use. Not how much
you should configure in cache_mem. cache_mem is completely separate
from the a amount needed by Squid to keep up with it's swap.state and
other necessary stuff.

cache_mem is for in-transit objects, hot objects and a few other odds
and ends. You define it to be whatever you want, 2MB or 200MB, and
Squid won't care--it will /still/ use about 10MB for each 1GB of
cache_dir. cache_mem is used in addition to this memory.

In some circumstances it may be appropriate to raise the cache_mem in
order to improve performance. I've found that, if you have enough
memory to spare, Squid can gain about 5%-10% improvement in overall
throughput and response times from having a larger cache_mem setting (up
to a certain point, dependent on your workload).

But there is no correlation between cache_dir size and cache_mem size,
and there doesn't need to be.

                                   --
                      Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                  Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances