Re: [squid-users] time to tune further??

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 06:51:27 -0500

I don't know. ;-)

Seriously, it depends on your needs. As long as performance stays
'snappy' you can just keep raising the size until you're happy with it.
  Look at your current Squid process size, and if it isn't 'too big'
(i.e. causing much of your other processes to be forced into swap and
making the system sluggish overall) then increase the cache size. See
if it remains fast at serving Squid requests, and the system continues
to handle normal command line functions without hesitation. Do these
checks at your peak load, of course.

I've configured a few 512MB machines...and I've set them up with about
22GB of total cache_dir space--cache_mem at 48MB or 64MB. It seems to
work well, with the Squid process sitting at just over 250MB, and plenty
of room for the rest of the system to live and the buffer cache to do
it's job.

But there is no rule. Just rules of thumb.

Good luck!

                                   --
                      Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                  Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances