Re: [squid-users] Any particular advices in using ipchains or iptables???

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 11:05:56 +0200

Boniforti Flavio wrote:

> Hey!
>
> I would like to use ipchains or iptables on my 2.4.2 kernel on which squid
> is running quite well.
>
> I'm using the squid version included in RedHat 7.1.
> I'm also thinkin' about upgrading my kernel to 2.4.10

If you are using Linux-2.4 then you should use iptables, not ipchains.

> Are there any known issues I have to consider before activating firewalling
> in regard to squid's working environment???

Not really, except making sure the firewall allows what Squid needs.

Squid needs to
  a) Accept connections from your users on its http_port(s).

  b) Make outgoing TCP connections

  c) Accept incoming TCP connections for FTP data transfers

  d) Make UDP queries for DNS data to/from your name servers.

  e) Maybe make ICP queries to your peers if you have peers and are
using ICP.

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Hacker