[squid-users] Re-routing via firewall

From: Joseph Haig <jhaig@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 10:01:28 +0100 (BST)

Hello,

I am having a very odd problem that I cannot understand. I do not know
how best to describe it, but here goes.

  - I have squid working OK on my server, running SuSE Linux 7.1. If I
    access the proxy directly on port 3128 it workes as it should.
  - I have set up a firewall with iptables using SuSE's firewall setup
    routine. Everything on that seems to be fine as well. Well,
    everyting except ...

  - I want the firewall to redirect access to port 80 to port 3128 so that
    users are forced to use the proxy, and can do so without having to
    change any settings. If I try this, it seems to work, except for the
    fact that URLs seem to get mangled in the process. As far as I can
    make out, the URL that squid gets is the original with the domain name
    removed. It then, understandably, cannot find the page and returns an
    error. For example, a user tries to look up 'http://domain.name/page'
    and gets an error back saying cannot find '/page'.

Maybe this isn't a squid problem but I have tried asking in other places
and no one has been able to help me. If someone could just give me *some*
indication of where the fault *might* lie, that would be helpful. Then I
could go and hassle the right people. ;-)

Thanks,

Joe