RE: [squid-users] Cache dir goes to be full

From: Winston Gutkowski <winston.gutkowski@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 10:48:01 -0700

Unless 'touch' has changed since I last used it, it will not clear your log
file; it just updates the time stamp. To safely clear a file which might be
written to, we were told to use:

cat /dev/null > <your-log-file>
or just
> <your-log-file>

Alternatively, if you have space somewhere else on your system and you want
to keep your old log files, why not try something like:

cp <your-log-file> <new-filesystem>/log/squid/`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S`.log
cat /dev/null > <your-log-file>

You may lose a few lines from your log each time, but its better than
nothing.

Winston