[squid-users] Http accelerator questions (apologies if you have received this already)

From: <D.Singerman@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 12:53:50 +0100

Hi,

I have been playing with Squid (on Solaris) for a couple of days,
trying to implement it as an http accelerator, and I have come up with
a couple of problems. I would appreciate it if anyone could help.

Problem 1) As I am only using Squid as an accelerator, dedicated to
one application, I want to have total control over when objects get
served from the cache, and when they don't - i.e. I don't want a
browser refresh/reload to cause a hit on the accelerated server. In
IE5.5 on the PC this isn't a problem (I think because refresh dosn't
work properly). However on Netscape (6.0) I am having the following
problem - On a shift-refresh, the browser sends a http cache-control
no-cache header. I have successfully disabled this with ignore-reload
in the refresh_pattern config - this works fine. However if a netscape
user presses just refresh (no shift), this sends a http cache-control
max-age=0 header, and this always seems to cause a TCP_MISS/200 no
matter what I try. Help|

Problem 2) I only want to expire objects from the cache when the
application decides they have been updated, so I want to do this
programatically. That's fine, however to keep things in cache until I
directly purge it (I think) I have to send a http expire header far in
the future (say 10 days). However I want squid to serve an expires now
header to any browsers, so browsers will always check the squid cache
for the latest version (and not wait 10 days). Does anyone know if
this is possible?

Thanks in advance for any useful help.

Dan

IMPORTANT NOTICE The information in this e-mail is confidential and should
only be read by those persons to whom it is addressed and is not intended
to be relied upon by any person without subsequent written confirmation of
its contents. Furthermore, the content of this e-mail is the personal view
of the sender and does not represent the advice, views or opinion of our
company. Accordingly, our company disclaim all responsibility and accept
no liability (including in negligence) for the consequences of any person
acting, or refraining from acting, on such information prior to the receipt
by those persons of subsequent written confirmation. In particular (but
not by way of limitation) our company disclaims all responsibility and
accepts no liability for any e-mails which are defamatory, offensive,
racist or in any other way are in breach of any third party's rights,
including breach of confidence, privacy or other rights. If you have
received this e-mail message in error, please notify me immediately by
telephone. Please also destroy and delete the message from your computer.
distribution and/or publication of this e-mail message is strictly
prohibited. Trinity Mirror plc is the holding company for the Trinity
Mirror group of companies and is registered in England No. 82548, with its
address at Kingsfield Court, Chester Business Park, Chester CH4 9RE.