Re: [squid-users] a urgent query

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 13:27:20 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Henrik Nordstrom" <hno@marasystems.com>
To: "Robert Collins" <robert.collins@itdomain.com.au>
> Questionable if it makes much use in the user cache. This form of
> accounting needs to be quite persistent, and the user cache is not
> really...
>
> Keep in mind that if you add such functionality to the user cache,
then
> it is only a matter of minutes before someone wants to use this to
limit
> Internet time to X hours per month, and I assume you see the problem
> then...

Actually, thats the goal for it. Simply forcing a revalidation every x
minutes, to track 'on' vs 'not on' status via the authenticator is
wasteful - and adds overhead. IMO squid should either keep the data
semi-persistent a la the swaplog, or have a dedicated helper it can tell
about users changing state - new user logs on, user inactive for the
timeout period.

Haven't thought it all through yet however.

Rob