Re: [squid-users] Compression

From: Nils Holland <nils@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 17:29:59 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Paul Stewart wrote:

> Is there a way that content served via the cache could be gzipped on the
> fly? Perhaps it's already possible and I am not aware of it? My
> opinion would be that this is a win/win scenario with the cache speeding
> up delivery of content to the browser, saving bandwidth on the backbone
> connections, and also delivering the content even faster to the browser
> (especially a dial-up user).

Actually, just for the sake of completeness: Dial-up connections use a
on-the-fly compression known as V.42bis. Using this method, data is
compressed on it's way over the phone line.

Your suggestion may still be wise, I just wanted to point out that adding
gzip compression to Squid will probably not make much of a difference to
dial-up users, as their data is already being compressed when it passes
through the bottleneck (=phone line).

Greetings
Nils

Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany
http://www.tisys.org * nils@tisys.org