RE: [squid-users] Compression

From: <sean.upton@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 09:01:43 -0700

It also should be noted that if websites do their images right, they will be
decently compressed already, which also reduces the utility of
transfer-compression by the web-server / proxy in that case.

But it does make a difference for an accelerator, esp. when you run a
high-traffic site, and your have to pay for bandwidth. And there is always
going to be lots of text; and compression ratios are always good with text.
If using compression means I cut my peak traffic by several Mb/s, my company
saves $$. In a situation where you run a content site that is accessed by a
lot of people at work (like my company, a major US newspaper), it is also
helpful to your users on LAN connections with a crowded (and uncompressed)
pipe to their ISP, which is growing all to common these days.

When transfer encoding is enabled and past alpha, my company will likely be
an early adopter.

Sean