Re: [squid-users] What about upgrading?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 21:20:01 +0200

There is many options

a) Find a newer RPM somewhere..

b) Upgrade a Source RPM to the new version

c) Install Squid from the source tar ball.

If you today have a RedHat RPM installation of Squid, I'd recomment you
use RPM to upgrade it. Upgrading a Source RPM package is quite simple
once you get the hang of it, but there rarely is any need as RedHat
usually is quite good at keeping the SRPMS in "rawhide" up to date.

Get the latest source rpm (there is squid-2.4.STABLE2.src.rpm in
rawhide).

   rpm --rebuild squid-2.4.STABLE2.src.rpm

when finished, install the generated RPM file.

If you plan on doing frequent upgrades or tweak your Squid installation,
I'd recommend installing manually from source. Gives you more freedom in
compilation options and so on.

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Hacker