[squid-users] Re: Re-Send: Reverse Proxy

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 03:00:17 +0200

Jeff Karp wrote:

> After reading the squid-archives, it seems thay you have an *enormous*
> amount of knowledge about Squid - I envy you as I am a "first timer."

Thanks. Squid has sort of stuck with me for the last 5 years now..

> All I need to do is reverse proxy -1- system on our private (back end)
> network.

Which is the job of the httpd_accel_host directive in squid.conf.

> *No* clients on the private network will be using the proxy in the
> standard fashion - it will only be used for reverse proxy to 1 system.

Good. Makes things a lot simpler. Using it as both is a big mess
currently.. (will be addressed in Squid-2.6)

> Could you provide any squid.conf suggestions ?

httpd_accel_host your.internal.server

And once you feel somewhat comfortable I'd recommend trying the
following:

httpd_accel_host official.site.name
(official == the name visible on the outside)
httpd_accel_with_proxy on
cache_peer your.internal.server parent 80 0 no-query
never_direct allow all

and later, if you need domain-based virtual hosts add

httpd_accel_uses_host_header on

this to get rid of some minor annoyances with the simple
httpd_accel_host approach, mainly server generated redirects and odd
clients sending full URL's in the request (servers are required to
support this by HTTP/1.1). However, not all web servers can support this
approach (also addressed in Squid-2.6)

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Hacker