[squid-users] Re: R: [squid-users] Tracking squid performance...

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 14:46:44 +0200

Boniforti Flavio wrote:

> > Sure. This kind of information is provided both via the cachemgr
> > interface, and via SNMP.
> >

> Which one would you advice me to use??? I guess infos on how to install one
> of those means I'll find in the FAQ, right??? I just want to know which to
> use and what I needs to run!

Very much depends on your personal preference.

The cachemgr interface is easier to access as a human, and provides some
more details.

the SNMP interface is easier to access from automated data
collection/plotting tools such as MRTG.

For the cachemgr interface you usually need to have cachemgr.cgi
installed somewhere, or to manually send similar requests to Squid (set
up cachemgr.cgi and then see access.log when fetching the information
wanted to find out the needed URL).

For accessing the SNMP interface your Squid needs to first of all be
compiled with support for SNMP, second you need your favoride SNMP data
collection tool.

In both cases you most likely need to configure access controls in
squid.conf.

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Hacker