[squid-users] Vedr.: Re: [squid-users] TCP_MISS.. why doesn't it cache the object?

From: Klavs Klavsen <ktk@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 08:26:25 +0200

Hej Henrik

You were absolutely right.. I cleared the cache.. and I don't know if it
made any difference - but I also removed the reload-into-ims option for the
refresh_pattern - now I have override-expire and -ignore-reload set..

I still have one problem that I can't figure out.. the below line is a
reload of the frontpage.. it doesn't get cached - even though the above
options - I think - should
enable it to do so..
1003821626.333 0 195.24.2.199 TCP_REFRESH_MISS/200 65489 GET
http://cnn.dk/ - ROUNDROBIN_PARENT/www1.cnn.dk text/html

My problem ofcourse is, that I want squid to be setup, so that It never
sends any requests to the origin-server unless it's actually missing the
object.. no one should be able to reload or force-reload.. only I should be
able to PURGE whenever I want a specific object updated in the squid-cache.

other than that, it looks very good so far.. and thankyou for the
config-example..

-------------| This mail has been sent to you by: |------------
Klavs Klavsen, IT-coordinator and Systems Administrator at
Metropol Online - http://www.metropol.dk
Tlf. 33752700, Fax 33752720, Email ktk@metropol.dk

Private- Email klavs@klavsen.net - http://www.vsen.dk

--------------------[ I believe that... ]-----------------------
It is a myth that people resist change. People resist what other
people make them do, not what they themselves choose to do...
That's why companies that innovate successfully year after year
seek their peopl's ideas, let them initiate new projects and
encourage more experiments. -- Rosabeth Moss Kanter

Klavs Klavsen wrote:

> when I try to get the below url - it gives me a TCP_MISS and I have to
wait
> until the parent-server answers..
>
> 1003756129.953 200000 195.24.2.199 TCP_MISS/200 40281 GET
> http://www.cnn.dk/okonomi/artikel:aid=104288 -
> ROUNDROBIN_PARENT/www2.cnn.dk text/html

Probably the reply is marked as uncacheable, or there isn't enought
information available to Squid to determine how long the object can be
cached.

> and also.. I have a few url's that when you request the parent for it, it
> rewrites you (304) to another url.. - is it possible to set it up, so
that
> it caches the respons anyhow?

304 is not redirects, it is "Not modified".

301/302/303/307 is redirects.

Squid can currently only cache 304 replies if it has already cached the
object. Clear your browser cache and things should be a bit easier to
test.

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Hacker