Re: [squid-users] hostnames

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 18:45:01 +0200

Van Bossche Koen wrote:

> Thanks Mike!
> I think this indeed will solve the problem. Would it also work for more than
> 1 domain, so tries append with the first - then append the second - ...
>
> append_domain .yourdomain.com .some-other-domain.com

Nope. It only accepts one domain, and blindly appends it to any
hostnames without dots in them. which also means it will trigger on URLs
like http://tv/ and http://dk/ and other top-level web servers.

HTTP is defined to ONLY accept FQDN names for quad dotted IP addresses.

There are multiple ways to implement domain searching when using a
proxy.

a) Use a proxy.pac file that makes the browser to a DNS lookup. This
will trigger the browsers normal search functions (if it have any).

b) Use a redirector in Squid to fix up "intranet" URL's.

c) append_domain, and live with it's stupidity and limitations.

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid hacker