[squid-users] Vedr.: Re: [squid-users] TCP_REFRESH_HIT - still have the problem

From: Klavs Klavsen <ktk@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 10:44:02 +0200

Hi Henrik,

I seem to have found the problem:

I set reload_into_ims off and it now takes everything from the cache -
unless I purge a URL..

However this change, stabilized the freeze problem.. it now freezes almost
everytime I access one of the two sites..
if the client has seen the site before (ie. it might ask for
If-Modified-Since instead) it freezes.. this happens both with Netscape 4.6
and IE 5..

/Klavs

Klavs Klavsen wrote:

> I've set the refresh_pattern to 9999 99% 9999 -ignore-reload
> -override-expire so the fact that I test with an IE ad uses Shift-reload
> should not matter?

It might. The ignore-reload and override-expire options only covers some
of the possibilities.

If you also enable log_mime_hdrs then we have some more info to go on.

> I hope you can help me.. or can it really be true that squid simply won't
> offload the origin-servers? I wan't to spread the load of 2
origin-servers
> (with 20 sites on them) to approx. 10-20 squid's.. but if they all keep
> querying the origin server for each html-request.. then it won't really
> offload my origin-servers as much as I had hoped for.

Squid does not at all care if the request is a text/html or a image/gif.
To Squid they all are the same, just data of some type. The only
difference may be in other headers returned by your server, or in how
your browser behaves while you are testing.

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Hacker