[squid-users] partial solution for user logging

From: Jurgen Hart <j.hart@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 09:10:51 +0000

Hy all,

I found a partial solution to the logging of "usernames" actually
computer names in the acces.log file. This solution works for Windows
machines and other machines running Samba.

How ?

On a local NT-Server we run a DNS-service & WINS for our local-intranet,
The DNS is updated with the WINS information every 5 minutes. So the DNS
contains entries for machines on the network.

For Squid I enabled "log_fqdn" and used the NT-DNS as primary DNS for
the proxy. With this configuration squid throws in the DNS-name of the
client in stead of the IP.

Note: IT works very well for all MS-machines.
        All Linux machines running Samba also receive a name
        For mac's I did not try but I gues if they run a samba it should work.

This Setup works fine for me since each user has his own computer.

--
Jurgen Hart
AKA Jurre