Re: [squid-users] Squid as Bandwidth Manager.

From: <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 08:48:27 +0100

Mohsin Khan wrote:

> Can squid act as bandwidth manager, I
> mean using delay-pools etc, and to what extent it will
> be efficeint. I dont think that squid can control any
> other traffic other than http. So thats mean if some 1
> use squid as BM, it can only limit http bandwidth,
> than what about other services?

For other services you would have to use other bandwidth limiting
methods.

> Secondly is it advisable to squid as BM,
> well in case if squid machine is default gateway than
> it must be a good idea , but if it is not a default
> gateway than??

It depends on your network and policy.

By using Squid you can easily assign different policies to different
users, destinations or even file types. But it requires all HTTP traffic
to be sent thru Sqiud. If the user can bypass Squid then the design is
obviously flaved.

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Hacker