RE: [squid-users] general question regarding future caching proxi es

From: BAARDA, Don <don.baarda@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 09:56:46 +1030

G'day,

[...]
> Hi all,
> I have a general question regarding the use of webcaching
> proxies. I assume
> within time it will not have any advantage anymore using
> webcaching proxies,
> since more and more I see non cacheable pages and bandwith
> getting cheaper.
> In that case what would be the really benefit of still using caching
> proxies?

Demand for bandwidth will always exceed supply... so caching will always be
desirable. I know that the increase in dynamic content is undermining the
cachability of the data, but the solution is to get smarter caching.
Probably the ultimate of this is updating dynamic content using rsync-style
delta's; have a look at rproxy.

Also, proxies are a convenient way of controlling content and tweaking
access; redirectors, access control lists, content filters, etc etc. In the
wake of the twin towers, I'm sure governments everywhere, particularly the
US, are going to use this more and more. I predict soon transparent proxies
at ISPs will be used so much, _not_ using a proxy will become impossible.

ABO