Re: [squid-users] Best OS for Squid?

From: Mark Tinka <aknit44@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 09:22:00 -0800 (PST)

personally, i love SuSE.. and it's pretty powerful, i run virtually over 500 users [and growing] on it... but, it really boils down to, as one of the members said earlier, is what OS u feel most comfortable with... my guess the UNIX/Linux OS u start off with, and learn really well, is the one u will most probably go with.. Squid was built to work on Linux, so u won't have much of a problem porting it.. u will only have to understand your flavour of Linux so u can know how best to tune it to run Squid in the way u feel would give u most satisfaction... and that will involve all the intricacies u can imagine with any flavour of Linux/UNIX you choose...

most will already have Squid pre-compiled and ready to install in an RPM/Ports package... all u need to do is get it off their CDs...

good luck

AKNIT

--- Brian <hiryuu@envisiongames.net>
> wrote:
>I'm a Debian junkie myself, but Redhat on a recent 2.4 kernel should do
>fine. Be sure to use aufs for the cache_dirs and de-RAID the drives (for
>a nubmer of reasons, but especially to avoid having a file split across a
>stripe boundary).
>
>On Monday 29 October 2001 04:21 pm, Vosburgh, Brian P, CTR, WHS/BB wrote:
>> I finally received my server hardware for Squid. I've been testing on
>> older hardware with RH Linux 7 but before I start installing for real
>> I'm wondering if I would see better results with Solaris 8 or one of the
>> BSD versions? The hardware we've got are two Dell Poweredge 2U units
>> with 2x1000Ghz, 2GB RAM and RAID 0 Cheetahs.
>>
>> tia/
>>
>> Brian

Be different Get yourself a Globenetcafe.net email ID
Uganda's Newest internet cafe www.globenetcafe.net