Re: [squid-users] MEMORY usage

From: Steve Snyder <swsnyder@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 10:04:20 -0500

It would be a mistake to use every bit of RAM in your box. Even if you
could ensure that Squid used no more than 120MB, you would still be unhappy
about the performance, probably very unhappy.

With Squid consuming 120MB, that would leave you 8MB for the operating
system (you don't identify which OS you're using) and no RAM whatsoever for
disk caching. With no disk cache you will have to do physical I/O on each
cache access. That's S L O W.

Try setting cache_mem to 16MB - 20 MB or get more RAM.