Re: [squid-users] PAM configuration

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2001 16:35:45 +0100

Khashayar Assa wrote:

> On Friday 30 November 2001 10:03 pm, you wrote:
> > By using the PAM authentication helper, shipped with Squid.
> >
> > Squid configuration for PAM is like any other proxy authentication. Nothing
> > special only because the password is verified against PAM.
>
> I make and install PAM module and set the following line in 'squid.conf':
> authenticate_program /usr/local/squid/libexec/squid/pam_auth /etc/passwd

pam_auth does not take any arguments. Any configuration is done in the
PAM configuration files.

> I create '/etc/pam.d/squid' like this:
> auth required /lib/security/pam_unix.so
> account required /lib/security/pam_unix.so
> But it doesn't work, what is wrong? I use Red Hat Linux 7.2.

See the PAM Administrators Guide on how to configure PAM services (on
RedHat 7.2 this can be found in /usr/share/doc/pam-<version>/ in PS,
HTML and TXT formats (pam.ps, pam.html, pam.txt).

Note: If your system is using shadow passwords (RedHat 7.2 does by
default) then only processes running as root will be able to verify
passwords. This means that in such configurations Squid pam_auth needs
to be set user id root.