[squid-users] dnsserver redundancy?

From: Reischl, Brian <breisch@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 16:06:41 -0600

Hello,
  I'm running Squid 2.4 STABLE2 with external dnsserver because I need it to
use search domains. Everything is working great, except that I've noticed
that I occasionally get warning that all the dnsservers are busy. Thankfully
this isn't a big problem yet, but it could be when Friday rolls around and
everyone is slacking & surfing the net :)

  I've already increased the number of children to 32, but I still need to
handle more requests. The DNS server is a Solaris box on the same LAN, so
there's no help there. I saw another poster had the great idea of using ipf
to redirect half the requests to another squid, but I'd prefer to avoid
anything that drastic. Is there any other way to increase the efficiency of
DNS lookups, or the number of children, short of learning to write C?

  While looking in cache manager I noticed that in every case there are
always 2 adjacent children looking up the same address at the same time. For
example, the first and second children will be querying one address, the
third and fourth another address, etc. Is there some reason for this?

 Idle curiosity-- the number of requests served drops steadily from children
1 through 29-- and then goes up for the last 3. I see no reason to worry
about it, and in some of the emails in the archive I saw the same pattern,
but that seems a bit odd.

Thanks in advance,
BKR