Re: [squid-users] SQUID and WCCP V1 in an ISP setup

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 10:52:50 -0600

One more time:

>> > Cache peering is counter-productive in your environment. WCCP will
>> > divide traffic in such a way that data sharing is not required--it
>> > splits traffic based on destination IP of the client
>>requests so every
>> > cache will contain unique data.

_Destination IP_. Not already visited sites by any given client. WCCP
doesn't /care/ where you've been or who you are. It balances based on
the destination IP--so a request destined for a website at 192.168.1.1
will hash out such that it goes to cache1 while a request from the same
client1 destined for a website at 192.168.1.2 will hash out such that it
goes to cache2. When client2 visits the webserver located at
192.168.1.1, he will /also/ be directed to cache1, and when he visits
192.168.1.2 he will also be directed to cache2. Always. Every time,
and no matter who the client is or how long ago the last visit to that
site was. There is no memory based persistence in WCCP, as it would
fail to work because of the exact problem you mention.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
http://www.swelltech.com