[squid-users] Newbie local webserver problem

From: OTR Comm <otrcomm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2001 12:57:34 -0700

Hello,

I am a newbie with squid, so please excuse my ignorance.

I have a small network setup at home with a dialup connection to the
Internet. My network server is a Redhat Linux 7.2 box with 2.4.10
kernel.

I have Apache webserver running with several 'local' domains for my
kids.

I have a local caching nameserver, DHCP, and Samba running all okay.

I have use iptables as a firewall when the dialup connection goes
active.

I do not trust Redhat, so I downloaded all the tarballs and reinstalled
everything, including squid-2.4-200112090000-src.tar.gz.

In my iptables I REDIRECT to port 3128 with:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT
--to-port 3128

Now the problem is, when I fire up squid and my firewall and connect to
the Internet, everything works okay for external IP addresses. I.e,
squid is caching, the firewall is working, and I can browse anywhere (so
far) on the Internet. However, I can not reach any of my 'local
domains'. I do not get any errors in the browsers, they just never get
there.

In my squid access.log, I get messages like so:

1007923994.260 1316 192.168.1.253 TCP_MISS/000 0 GET
http://www.acaci.lcl/htdocs-80/ - NONE/- -

where acaci.lcl is one of my 'local domains'

If I turn squid off and comment out the REDIRECT statement in iptables,
I can reach acaci.lcl fine.

Without running my local webserver on another port, how can I get squid
to give access to my 'local domains?'

I hope that this is not too convoluted and/or basic, but I really would
appreciate any help here.

Thanks,

Murrah Boswell