[squid-users] Win.x and Windows 2000 different behaviour

From: --==[bMan]==-- <bman@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 23:44:29 -0500

O.K. I'm going bananas here. I wonder if this is a "known" issue related to
Microsoft products not working the same across their OSes or it's a bug (do I
dare to say in ... Squid)?

Here is a deal: I have a directive in my squid.conf file:

acl local-intranet dstdomain .foo.net
always_direct allow local-intranet

where .foo.net is my local intranet domain. I want my proxy to send web
clients directly to .foo.net without even looking at its cache. It works
find with IE on Windows.x platform but does not work on Windows 2000 (haven't
tried XP yet). My problem is that if I cannot send clients directly to the
site, NTLM authentication will not work. Therefore, the above solution
seemed perfect for the task until I started to test Squid proxy with Windows
2000.

When looking into my access.log file, I have noticed that when IE runs on
Windows.x and makes a request to a local domain, it does not register with my
logs. However, when a web browser makes a request to a local domain from
Y2K, I can see a corresponding entry with DIRECT/.foo.net -- directive in it.

What am I missing here? I REALLY would have to make sure that IE on Y2K goes
directly to the local sites (of course, there is also the client's side and
it can be taken care of that way but proxy solution would seem so much better
because no additional setup would have to be done with client's browser to
facilitate NTLM compatibility....

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks.

--