[squid-users] X-Forwarded-For empty

From: Sebastian Flothow <sebastian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 16:53:34 +0100

I'm running SquidNT 2.3.STABLE5 on NT 4.0. It works really fine (I replaced Microsoft Proxy with it) except that it doesn't set the X-Forwarded-For header correctly.
With forwarded_for off, it's properly set to "unknown", but with forwarded_for on, it's just empty.

Setting the log level to 9 shows that squid is indeed sending the empty header (so it's not a fault of the parent cache), but gives no hints why it's doing this.

My setup is a bit weird - there's no DNS (it's running in a quite isolated network and relays all requests to a parent cache), but since squid refused to run without a DNS server, I set dns_nameservers to 127.0.0.1 (it shouldn't attempt to contact a DNS server anyway).
I don't think that this could affect the X-Forwarded-For header, since it should be set to the IP address of the client, just wanted to mention it in case it's important.

Sebastian Flothow
sebastian@flothow.de
#include <stddisclaimer.h>