Re: [squid-users] stopping squid = FAILED

From: Peter Smith <peter.smith@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 11:15:57 -0600

Sometimes Squid takes some time to shutdown properly. Perhaps if you do
the 'squid stop' and then watch your 'ps auxf' you'll see it disappear
after a while. The most likely cause could be 'shutdown_lifetime' of 30
seconds (http://squid.visolve.com/squid24s1/Timeouts.htm#shutdown_lifetime).

I've run into a similar situation with the cache-rebuild problem you are
having. Be sure that the owner/group permissions on your
/var/spool/cache are identical to what you have Squid starting up as.
Additionally, if you are mounting a device as /var/spool/cache, be sure
these permissions are set on the directory with it mounted and unmounted
(I've had to re-check this before.) Also, keep a careful watch on your
cache.log as it is the only way Squid can communicate with you when
using the 'init.d/' scripts. Remember that sometimes 'squid -XN' can be
helpful in debugging problems too!

Hope this helps.

Peter Smith