Re: [squid-users] Why Squid is great (was: fourth cache off??)

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 19:54:33 +1100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Kay" <jkay@pushcache.com>
> > > So what can a Squid vendor do to sell to a T3-connected ISP? If
> > > the ISP has just or two offices and POPs, then you're toast. If
they
> > > have several POPs, well, maybe now we're in business. Sell them
one
> > > for each.
> >
> > I generally agree with your post, but I disagree with this point.
> >
> > With a highly centralized T3 ISP, uptime becomes an important
> > consideration. In that situation, a cluster of smaller caches will
offer
> > more failover opportunities than the 'big box' topology.
>
> Excellent point!

Clustering of machines is certainly possible. From a sales perspective
though, many organisations will choose a single install rather than a
cluster. Why? Cost. If the smallest cache is X dollars, having two costs
2X no matter the topology. If they are forking out for distributed
caches, their easiest answer is to have no end users on the centralised
site, only child caches, and they will handle failure gracefully.

Rob